Office of Community and Economic Development

The mission of the Cinnaminson Township Department of Community and Economic Development is to bring to fruition the community’s vision for its future quality of life, economic viability, and land use stewardship.  Employing a strong customer service ethic, the Department emphasizes cooperation and interaction with business owners, residents, and developers to move projects from the design phase through the required approvals and on to completion.  To accomplish this task, the Department brings all of the various stakeholders in the approval process together under one roof, including the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment, Construction Office, and Engineer.  The Department is responsible for economic development and redevelopment initiatives, code enforcement, and property maintenance code enforcement so that properties which have fallen into disrepair can be addressed before negatively impacting the community’s quality of life.

Attention All Prospective Business Owners:

Thank you for your interest in establishing a presence in Cinnaminson. We welcome the opportunity to work with you to see that your dream becomes a reality. If you are planning to submit an application to either the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment, please contact Township Clerk Lisa Passione at 856-735-2397 for information on how to proceed through the approval process.


Burlington County Small Business Loan Program

The Burlington County Department of Economic Development has a Small Business Loan Program for Burlington County Small Businesses. Click below for more information.

Housing Element and Fair Share Housing Plan

Burlington County Home Improvement Loan Program

What is the Home Improvement Loan Program?

Burlington County receives an allocation of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds each year from the Federal government to provide assistance to residents of Burlington County through a variety of local housing-related and public service projects.
The Board of Chosen Freeholders has designated portion of these funds to be made available through the Home Improvement Loan Program, which is administered by Community Development and Housing.

The Home Improvement Loan Program provides technical assistance to qualified homeowners and makes 0 % interest property improvement loans of up to $20,000 to correct substandard housing conditions and to eliminate health and safety hazards.

Examples of eligible work include foundation, plumbing, heating and electrical repairs, roof work, termite and dry-rot repairs, water and sewer hookups, energy conservation measures and remodeling to provide wheelchair accessibility.

Loans are made for the rehabilitation of owner-occupied single family houses only. Technical assistance provided through the program includes assessing the scope of needed repairs, consulting with building officials, architects and other professionals as needed, assisting the homeowner in obtaining bids and contracting for the repairs, monitoring construction and issuing payments.

Burlington County Home Improvement Program


Attention Cinnaminson Township Residents

This office performs all duties and responsibilities as required by the Uniform Construction Code, the International Construction Code, the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, and laws pursuant to the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. This office follows the requirements under the DCA and Cinnaminson codes.

Municipal Construction Permits WILL NOT be issued without proof of registration from any contractor working on your home. Application packets are available at: Cinnaminson Township Construction Office, or by calling Consumer Affairs at 1-888-656-6225 Or Online at:

Home improvements include the construction, installation, replacement, or repair of residential driveways, sidewalks, swimming pools, terraces, patios, additions, landscaping, fences, porches, windows, doors, cabinets, kitchens, bathrooms, garages, finished basements, basement waterproofing, fire protection devices, security protection devices, central heating and air conditioning equipment, water softeners, heaters, and purifiers, solar heating or water systems, insulation installation, roofing and siding, wall-to-wall carpeting or attached or inlaid floor coverings, and more.

Requesting a Construction Permit

Construction Permit Fees (see Township Code Book Chapter 265-7)
Construction Permit Application
Construction Permit Forms
Building Subcode
Electrical Subcode
Fire Subcode
Plumbing Subcode
Chimney Certification

Permits and Licenses

When is a Permit Needed?

A Construction Permit, which may include a Building, Electrical, Fire and/or Plumbing sub-code technical section, is required to do any of the following:

All construction, including but not limited to:
(The following is a general guide – each job may have different requirements and may need more than is listed below)

Construction permit applications for projects which change the footprint of the building, lot coverage, use of the space, etc. may also require a Zoning approval.

Additions: All New Buildings: All
Air Conditioning: Electric & Plumbing Plumbing Work: Plumbing
Burglar: Electric
Fire/Smoke/Carbon Monoxide: Electric & Fire
Pool: Building, Electric, Plumbing, Fire (for heater)
Alterations: Residential/Commercial – All Porch: Building
Asbestos Removal: Building Radon: Building & Electric
Basement Refinishing/Remodeling:
Building, Electric, Fire & Plumbing
Ramp: Building
Bathroom Fixtures:
Direct replacement and/or any piping changes
– Plumbing
(Need licensed plumbing contractor or Homeowner)
Roof: Building
Car Port: Building (others as needed) Satellite Dish: (Over 24″ Diameter)
– Building
Chimney Reline: Fire Shed:
(Over 100 sq. ft or over 10′ high) – Building
Deck: Building Siding: Building
Demolition: Building Signs: Building & Electric
(Adding, Enlarging or Eliminating) – Building
Spa/Hot Tub: Building & Electric
Electric Work: Landscape Lighting, All Voltages Sprinkler: Fire
Elevator: Elevator Steps: Building
Fence: if – (Around a pool, over 6′ or Commercial) – Building Wood burning Stove: Building & Fire
Building, Fire, Plumbing & Chimney Certification
Tank: (Installation, Abandonment or Removal) Building & Fire
Garage: Building (Others as needed) Telephone/Comm. Points/Voice Data/Computer Wiring: Electric
Gazebo: Building Tenant Fit Out: All
Heating/Vent/HVAC: Electric (if fuel fired equip.
does not need licensed electrician)

Fire & Plumbing
Trailer/Construction/Building/Sales: All
Hood: Fire & Electric Temporary Mobile Home: All
Lawn Sprinkler: Electric, Plumbing & Copy
of D.E.P. Landscape Irrigation License
Water Heater: Plumbing
Moving a structure: Building & all utility sign-offs
as for demo (Also would require footing/foundation
application for setting the structure in new location)
Windows: (Adding, enlarging, or eliminating) – Building

Building Codes

Please refer to the Uniform Construction Code Book  or Current Adopted Codes for more detailed information about building codes.

Building Inspections

1621 Riverton Road
Cinnaminson, NJ  08077
Phone: 856-829-6000 ext 5
Fax: 856-303-0265

Inspectors Position
Brad Regn Construction Code Official/ Building Sub code
Lori Neely Technical Assistant
Robert Yearly Building Inspector
Robert Yearly Fire Inspector
Anthony Cimino Plumbing Inspector
3rd Party Electrical Inspector

Inspection Hours:

Building & Fire: Tuesday & Thursday 8:00 am to 12:00 pm
Electrical: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 11:00 am to 3:00 pm
Plumbing: Monday & Thursday 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm

Obligations During Construction:

  • Any work which does not conform to the approved plans will require re inspection. If the work continues without resolving the problem, the applicant will be fined and the job stopped.
  • Applicants are required to post the permit prominently on the site and to keep a copy of the approved plans at the site.
  • When the project is completed, the applicant must call for final building, electrical, plumbing, and fire inspections prior to occupying.

State law mandates that the Construction Official issue a fine to any person who performs work without a permit if the construction is of a nature which requires a permit.

Construction Code Official – Brad Regn

Code Enforcement

The Property Maintenance Code (Chapter 405) is used to protect the health safety and welfare of the general public by establishing minimum standards for the maintenance of premises throughout the Township. It covers many areas, such as but not limited to, overgrown grass and vegetation, residential and commercial parking requirements, trash and refuse, exterior maintenance for buildings, parking lots, curbs, and sidewalks, infestation, clothing bins, and dumpsters. The Code Enforcement Officer investigates reported violations of Chapter 405. He can be reached at 856-829-6000 ext. 2396.


Frequently Asked Questions about Code Enforcement & Zoning

  1. Are permits required for fences, sheds, pools, hot tubs, and decks?
    • Yes, permits are required regardless of the size and height. A copy of your survey is required, showing the location of the proposed structures.
  2. Do I need a Certificate of Occupancy Inspection to sell my home? 
    • No, Cinnaminson Township does not require CO inspections for resale of a residential home. They do require an inspection from the Sewerage Authority (856)829-5287 and the Fire District (856)829-5220. Please contact them directly for scheduling and fees.
  3. Am I required to keep my lawn mowed?
    • Yes, Township ordinances require that the lawn be maintained and may not be higher than 8”.
  4. Am I permitted to place signage on trees or utility poles advertising my yard sale? Do I need a permit for a yard sale?
    • The Twp. ordinance requires that you notify the Zoning Officer of your intent to have a yard sale. There is no fee for approval of a yard sale. You are NOT permitted to place signage of any kind on trees or utility poles, however the Zoning Officer will extend you the courtesy of allowing temporary. signs for a limited time, which must be removed after the sale.
  5. Are temporary pools permitted?
    • Yes, however State law requires that any body of water 24” or deeper MUST BE surrounded with a minimum 4’ barrier (fence or wall) which meets the State code. Not all types of fence meet the State Code.
  6. Am I responsible to maintain my sidewalks, curbs, and grass strip between them?
    • Yes, the ordinances require you to maintain all of the area between your property line and the street, including the sidewalks, grass strip, and curb. This also pertains to the areas behind the homes with reverse frontage that back up to roadways. This includes snow and ice removal within 24 hours of the snow event.
  7. When can I put my trash out?
    • Trash may not be put out before 12pm (noon) the day before the scheduled trash collection day.
  8. Am I permitted to park vehicles, boats or trailers on my lawn?
    • No, vehicles (only) must be parked in the driveway (or street if legally registered). Vehicles, boats, and trailers not parked in the driveway MUST BE parked in the rear yard a minimum of 5’ from the property lines, and MUST BE placed on a hard surface such as asphalt, stone, or concrete with a thickness capable of supporting the weight.
  9. Are permits required for a new roof, windows, siding, and other home improvements?
    • Yes, under most circumstances. There are some exceptions for very minor repairs. The best thing to do, is to call the Twp. Construction Dept. at 829-6000 ext 2312.
  10. Are storage PODS permitted?
    • Yes, for purposes of temporary (30 days) storage, and they do require a permit, and must be placed in the driveway.
  11. Are dumpsters permitted to be placed in the street during construction?
    • NO, dumpsters are NOT permitted to be placed in any street under any circumstances. They present a danger to motorists.
  12. What do I do with my grass clippings?
    • Grass is to be bagged and placed at the curb for pick up by the trash removal company.
  13. Do I need to put my house number on my house or mailbox?
    • All buildings MUST be numbered so that emergency personnel can see your address from the street.




Zoning Board of Adjustment:

The Zoning Board of Adjustment has the authority to hear and decide appeals of any order, requirement, decision or refusal made by the zoning officer based or made on  the provisions of the Township’s zoning ordinance. In addition, the Zoning Board of Adjustment hears and decides requests for interpretation of the zoning map or ordinance. A Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 525) is used to regulate and limit the uses of land, as  well as the uses and locations of buildings and structures on a particular lot.  Cinnaminson Township has nine different Residential Zones, and six different Commercial/Industrial Zones; each with its own set of requirements.  Each Zone has a number of “bulk” requirements which include the maximum  building height permitted, the minimum lot size required, the minimum setback to all property lines, and the maximum lot coverage by buildings.   The Zoning Officer enforces the Zoning Regulations as defined in Chapter 525 to ensure the proper use of buildings  and lands throughout the Township. The Zoning Officer can be reached at 856-829-6000 ext. 2396. The Cinnaminson Township Zoning Board of adjustment meets on the first Wednesday of each month at 6:30 PM in the Township’s Municipal Building. To schedule an appearance with the Zoning Board of Adjustment, please contact Ms. Patricia Rucci at 856-829-6000 ext. 2313.

Appearing Before the Planning Board and/or Zoning Board

Planning Board:

The Cinnaminson Township Planning Board is tasked with ensuring that the Township’s Master Plan regarding development is followed. The Board will also make amendments  to the Township’s Master Plan on an as needed basis. The Board processes and approves all applications for site plans in accordance with the provisions of the Township code. The Board also acts on variances and certain building permits in conjunction with subdivisions, site plans and conditional use approval pursuant to the States Municipal Land Use Law. The Planning Board meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month. To submit an application to the Planning Board, please contact Ms.  Patricia Rucci at 856-829-6000 ext 2313.